1) What is a Civil Ceremony?

Many people choose a civil wedding ceremony. Civil marriages, just like marriages performed by clergy, are legal contracts between two persons and require actions and agreements between the parties. They can be as formal or informal, traditional or as creative as the couple wishes.

2) What do I need to do to get married?

  • arrange for a Marriage Commissioner to officiate at the ceremony;
  • obtain a Marriage Licence from any Alberta Registry within 3 months of your ceremony;
  • arrange for two witnesses to be present at your ceremony (anyone over the age of 18); and
  • choose a venue

3) How much does it cost?

Once the three of us have met to discuss the ceremony that you would like, a fee will be determined. I would be happy to meet with you as many times as necessary to hear of your plans, answer any questions, and offer some suggestions based on my experience as Marriage Commissioner.

4) How far in advance do I have to book?

With appropriate documents (ID, proof of marital status if previously divorced) you can obtain your Marriage Licence and be married on the same day. I am happy to accommodate you on short notice, as long as I have no other previous appointments scheduled.

5) Do you have suggestions on where we can hold our ceremony?

I’d be happy to suggest many beautiful outdoor locations in the Red Deer area, you might also want to consider your home, a local hotel or restaurant.

6) Will you come to my home for the ceremony?

Yes, of course!  It is my experience that couples enjoy and feel the most relaxed when they are in their own homes.

7) Can you provide witnesses?

Yes, I can provide witnesses with enough advanced notice.

8) Can I legally be married in Alberta if I have been married at a destination wedding?

If you wish to be married legally in Alberta, you should be married in Alberta first, as you can’t be married in both jurisdictions.